https://i0.wp.com/thecloudbreadcompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/DSC_0682-3-2.jpg?fit=2000%2C1011&ssl=1 1011 2000 Gary Mavis https://thecloudbreadcompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/cbFulltmAsset@2x-300x127.png Gary Mavis2023-09-18 09:29:022023-09-21 12:05:18Lightened Up Chicken & Waffles
- 16 Original or Cheddar Cloudies
- 2 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 1 pound chicken thighs
- 1 egg
- ½ c. buttermilk (or ½ c. milk + 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice)
- ½ c. coconut flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. garlic powder, divided
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Optional: maple syrup to finish
Directions: Preheat oven to 300°.
- Place a metal cooling rack on top of a baking sheet. Tear 8 Cloudies in half, place on a baking sheet. Bake for about 40 minutes until the Cloudies are crunchy.
- Cool 10-20 minutes.
- Add the dried Cloudies to a small food processor or high-speed blender, pulse until crumbled and set aside.
- Turn up the oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare 3 shallow bowls for dipping.
- Bowl #1: whisk together egg, buttermilk, 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Bowl #2: combine coconut flour, salt, paprika, 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Bowl #3: add breadcrumbs
- Dip each chicken thigh in each bowl, starting with #1.
- Place chicken on the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil and sea salt over chicken
- Bake at 400° for 22-24 minutes until golden brown.
- Any waffle iron works but if you have the tiny, individual ones those are the perfect size!
- Spray the waffle iron lightly with olive oil, place the Cloudie inside, and sprinkle with coconut sugar.
- Press the top down to “cook” each waffle for about 45-60 seconds.
- Place 2 waffles on each plate and top with a chicken thigh.
- Add optional drizzle of maple syrup and enjoy!
Recipe and photo credit: Kendra Peterson, Drizzle Kitchen